Monday, May 19, 2014

Staring Is Rude

Today I found a photo
Of us.
Of you and me.
(I found a photo that we're both in.)

I always hated that picture
Because quite frankly,
Neither of us looked
At the camera
Or that good individually
(Or together.)

I had stupid lines
From an uneven tan
That I got
In an ugly swim suit.
(I've sworn off tanning since.)

You had a stupid smirk
Because you were intent on
Being sad all the time,
But I make people feel better.
(So you couldn't help it.)

Your dad's unfashionable tie
Was trying to match
My cheap prom dress
But failing miserably,
(And his suit was swallowing you.)

I couldn't help but stare
At the train wreck we documented,
So representational of how we were,
That you somehow loved.
(Until we broke up and you sent it back.)

I can't afford
Wasting time like that,
So I made myself
Shred that horrible keepsake.
(Only now, I'm staring at the shredder.)

This is the reason I avoid cleaning. If you don't clean, you can't find things you want to forget. This is my 19th poem for National Poetry Writing Month 2014. It was recently featured in the world's largest online art community. 

2 comments: