Thursday, May 15, 2014

Sandy, Half-Soaked

All I wanted was to lie
On the ground, unmoving,
Until I had strength
To walk on my own again.
But I began to sink as
The rain and lowering tide began
To wash the sand
Right from underneath me,
Without resolve in me to stand.

I had been away so long,
Unresponsive to your calls,
And you were growing anxious.
You wondered where I was,
Just hoping I was safe.
When you finally stumbled upon
Me: sandy, half-soaked.

And you picked me up
Though I indignantly struggled
And kicked at first.
You held me,
Cradling my face on your hands,
And told me
What a pretty face it was.
Quietly rocking me in your arms,
I regained stamina and stood,
Though you kept holding my waist,
So that I won't fall again.

I wrote this for National Poetry Writing Month in 2013, but I wasn't blogging my poems then, and I also didn't finish the whole month of writing poems that year. At the time, I was feeling very overwhelmed by my school responsibilities, which was probably the reason it's got an oceanic theme. (National Poetry Writing Month is right before school gets out.) I also was feeling depressed and self-conscious, but a certain someone special made me feel better. It's raining again today though, and the poem does mention rain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment